Punchy Honey-Roasted Pork Belly Recipe
Pork Belly are two words that always excite foodies in New Zealand. Fresh New Zealand pork belly is among the most succulent and flavoursome cuts that pigs offer. An inexpensive fatty cut, pork belly is best prepared with a slow cooking method to lock in moisture and let that rich taste resonate. In our opinion, nothing beats pairing our 1kg or 2kg pork belly cuts with a honey-roasted glaze. Here’s our special pork belly recipe with a piquant punch.
- 1 kg pork belly (for 2kg cut double other ingredients)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Mānuka honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Prepare the pork belly by patting it dry with paper towels. Score the skin diagonally in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat.
- In a small bowl mix together the olive oil, minced garlic, dried thyme, dried rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper to form a paste. Add in sliced chilli to taste preference.
- Rub the spice paste all over the pork belly, ensuring it's evenly coated on all sides.
- Place the pork belly on a wire rack set inside a baking tray, with the skin side facing up. This will help the skin crisp up better.
- Roast the pork belly in the preheated oven for about 1 hour or until the skin is golden and crispy.
- While the pork is roasting, prepare the honey glaze. In a small saucepan, combine the honey, soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is well combined and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- After 1 hour of roasting, remove the pork belly from the oven and brush the honey glaze over the top, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C and return the pork belly to the oven. Roast for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the glaze has caramelised and the skin is crispy and crackling.
- Remove the pork belly from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute and ensure the meat is tender.
- Slice the honey-roasted pork belly into thick pieces and serve hot.
Serve with roast potatoes, seasonal vegetables and coleslaw for the tastiest of meals this winter. Order restaurant-quality meat directly to your door today.