Slow-Cooked Beef Stew
- 1-1.5kg diced beef
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut in 2 inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut in to 1 inch pieces
- 800g potato’s, quartered
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp beef stock
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 Tbsp minced horseradish
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. Over a medium heat cook the beef for five minutes, or until evenly browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onion, garlic, sage, beef stock, tomato paste and horseradish to the slow cooker. Stir until combined; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-7 ½ hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Slowly stir into the stew.
- Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with creamy mashed potatoes (optional).