Our Mighty Mince and Cheese Pie Recipe
A longstanding staple of the Kiwi diet, nothing makes us feel as warm inside as a homemade Mince and Cheese Pie with golden puff pastry, savoury gravy and the most flavoursome premium Angus beef mince that is 100% New Zealand grass-fed. Perfect for any day, any time and anywhere, here’s the holy grail of Mince and Cheese Pie Recipes from the Online Meats recipe vault.
- Angus Premium Beef Topside Mince 500g
- Puff pastry 350g
- 8 slices of cheese
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Marmite
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg whisked with 1 teaspoon milk
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the finely diced onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent. Add the crushed garlic and beef mince to the pan. Continue cooking until the mince is browned.
- Add the remaining pie-filling ingredients to the pan (except for the cornflour and water mixture). Stir well to combine all the flavours. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the pie filling is simmering, preheat your oven to 180°C.
- After 20 minutes, stir in the cornflour and water mixture to thicken the gravy. Cook for an additional few minutes until the gravy reaches your desired consistency.
- Roll out two-thirds of the puff pastry to fit a 20-23cm round pie dish. Line the bottom of the dish with the pastry, ensuring it covers the entire base.
- Spoon the mince filling into the pastry-lined dish, spreading it evenly. Arrange the cheese slices on top of the filling.
- Roll out the remaining puff pastry to fit the top of the pie. Carefully place it over the filling, and seal the edges by pressing them together using a fork.
- To create a golden and glossy crust, prick some holes in the pastry using a fork. Then, brush the pastry with the egg wash, ensuring it covers the entire surface.
- Place your pie in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until the pastry turns a beautiful golden brown colour.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes. This will make it easier to slice and serve.
- Serve your delicious homemade Mince and Cheese Pie while it's still warm. It pairs perfectly with a side of vegetables and boiled potatoes.